NUKAKAMMA TRAIL EXPEDITION
Experience the serene beauty of the Sundays River and its abundant natural attractions on our flagship ‘Nukakamma Canoe Outdoor Trails Expedition’ – South Africa’s only canoe trail to have been awarded Green Flag Status.
The Khoisan named the river ‘Nukakamma’ (grassy water) due to its green, grassy banks and this self-guided trail is one not soon forgotten. Keep an eye out for kudu, bushbuck, porcupines, Cape otters, monkeys and over 200 recorded species of birds on your adventures.
You’ll paddle 13km to the overnight cabin, located right on the banks of the river.
Your luggage, food and camping essentials are transported by vehicle to and from the Addo Accommodation Cabin, so all you’ll need to travel with is a daypack. With no neighbours but nature, feel free to walk, swim, paddle, fish and finish off the day with a braai (barbeque) and a beautiful sunset enjoyed from the deck.
After a peaceful night in the bush, you’ll paddle 13km back to Sundays River Adventures’ base. The cabin is very rustic with no electricity, so all necessities should be brought with you – camping style. Bedding is included, but please bring along anything else that you would need for camping including sunscreen, warm clothes, food and drinks, cooler boxes and insect repellent.
If you would like us to fetch you at the accommodation instead of canoeing back the following day extra fees will apply.
– Canoes, paddles and lifejackets (double or single canoes)
– Use of the riverside cabin with bedding, gas stove and braai, solar-powered lights and geyser and outside toilets and a deck overlooking the beautiful river.
– Porterage of camping equipment and luggage to and from the cabin
– Bottled water, ice, wood.
– Guests who wish not to canoe can be transported to the cabin at an extra fee
WHAT TO BRING:
– Water (for the paddle and overnight)
– Insect repellent
– Warm clothes for the evening
– Wood and firelighters for cooking
– Cooler box(es) with ice to keep your perishables fresh
– Torches and head torches
– Any other camping equipment that you may need. If you’re unsure, please contact the office before your arrival.