Nukakamma Canoe Trail & Canoe Hire
Nukakamma Canoe Trail
- Duration: Per Night.
- Price: R350 per person / minimum 6 people.
- Canoe on the Sundays River to our overnight accommodation and return the following morning. Bedding, transfer of luggage & self catering facilities included.
Nukakamma Canoe Trail Boat Trip
- Duration: Per Night.
- Price: R700 per person / minimum 6 people.
- Includes a boat trip on the Sundays River to our overnight accommodation and return the following morning in our vehicle. Bedding, transfer of luggage & self catering facilities included.
Guided Canoe Tour (2 hours)
- Duration: 2 hours.
- Price: R350 per person.
- Our guide joins you on a canoe trip to the Sundays River Mouth sharing his great knowledge of the area.
- Size: 2 Man Canoes.
- Duration: 4 hours.
- Duration: 8 hours.
Nukakamma Canoe Expedition
Experience the serene beauty of the Sundays River and its abundant natural attractions on our flagship ‘Nukakamma Canoe Outdoor Trails Expedition’ – South Africa’s only canoe trail to have been awarded Green Flag Status.
The Khoisan named the river ‘Nukakamma’ (grassy water) due to its green, grassy banks and this self-guided trail is one not soon forgotten. Keep an eye out for kudu, bushbuck, porcupines, Cape otters, monkeys and over 200 recorded species of birds on your adventures.
You’ll paddle 13km to the overnight cabin, located right on the banks of the river.
Your luggage, food and camping essentials are transported by vehicle to and from the Addo Accommodation Cabin, so all you’ll need to travel with is a daypack. With no neighbours but nature, feel free to walk, swim, paddle, fish and finish off the day with a braai (barbeque) and a beautiful sunset enjoyed from the deck.
After a peaceful night in the bush, you’ll paddle 13km back to Sundays River Adventures’ base. The cabin is very rustic with no electricity, so all necessities should be brought with you – camping style. Bedding is included, but please bring along anything else that you would need for camping including sunscreen, warm clothes, food and drinks, cooler boxes and insect repellent.
Canoeing near me – Sundays River Adventures also offers canoes for hire day trips and guided canoe tours.
– Canoes, paddles and lifejackets (double or single canoes)
– Use of the riverside cabin with bedding, gas stove and braai, solar-powered lights and geyser and
outside toilets and a deck overlooking the beautiful river.
– Porterage of camping equipment and luggage to and from the cabin
– Drinks and meals, bottled water, ice
– Guests who wish not to canoe can be transported to the cabin at an extra fee
Please take Note
The cabin is very rustic, so guests are to be self-sufficient and pack whatever they will need for an overnight stay.
There is solar power for lights and the geyser, and a gas stove, but no fridge so cooler boxes are essential for cold storage. The cabin has crockery and cutlery such as mugs, cups, cutlery, plastic plates, pots, pans, braai tongs, kettle for gas stove, tin and bottle opener. If you’re unsure about anything, please contact the office before your arrival.
Check-in and the briefing take place at A Taste of Africa restaurant, Colchester. From there, guests will drive over to the dock, where they will park their cars behind a locked gate, transfer luggage to the porterage trailer and start their paddle up the river.
The paddle is 12.5km from the dock to the overnight cabin or, for those who would prefer a shorter trip (9km), a transfer to the public slipway can be arranged at an additional charge of R50pp.
A minimum number of guests (6) is required, for safety reasons, to a maximum of twelve in a cabin with four, three-tiered bunk beds.
All paddlers must be able to swim and have some canoeing experience, as the trip is comparatively long.
No standing in canoes and children under the age of sixteen must be accompanied, in a double canoe, by an adult.
We share the river with a number of other boating enthusiasts, so please be aware of motorboats. Your guide will provide more specific instructions in the briefing.
Important Items to Pack
· Water (for the paddle and overnight)
· Insect repellent
· Warm clothes for the evening
· Wood and firelighters for cooking
· Cooler box(es) with ice to keep your perishables fresh
· Torches and head torches
· Any other camping equipment that you may need. If you’re unsure, please contact the
office before your arrival.
Guided Canoe Trails & Canoe Hire
We also offer a three-hour guided canoe trail to the Sundays River Mouth complete with interesting historic facts and geography from your guide, and canoe hire.